From:
Claire Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 2004 11:07:57 -0400
On Jun 19, 2004, at 3:30 AM, Cinnamon Sprite wrote:

>... Animals, of any kind, are not something most would consider a hobby.
> ...I've never considered it a word that should be associated with
>living things.

Just a clarification --
Although the word "hobby" has connotations of a frivolous pursuit, that
is not quite accurate.  The IRS (for one) calls anything that is not a
profit-making business, and not a 501c3 non-profit, a "hobby".  (Most
volunteer work is considered a "hobby" by the IRS; even if it is for a
501c3, you can only write off your material donations, not your time.)

Others use the term to refer to activities done for love not money.
That would certainly cover most rescues and shelters.  Most people who
keep horses are officially "hobbyists".

A similar term is "amateur", which many take to mean "poorly done" or
"lacking in skill".  But the term actually comes from the latin word
"ama" meaning "to love"; an amateur is someone who does something for the
love of it (rather than for the money -- that's how he term is used in
sports).  I know a professional musician who says he strives to remain an
amateur -- that is, he wants to remain in love with making music, rather
than just do it as a job.

So according to the IRS, if you do something because you love it (an
amateur), and you have no intention of making money (not a business)
then you are engaging in a hobby.

Hope this helps --
Claire

"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the
 difference between lightning and the lightning bug."
-- Mark Twain