Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 03:06:25 -0800
>I am still a little confused as to why wood stove pellets are okay
>while pine shavings are not?  Could someone clarify this for me?

Wood pellets are made from compressed hardwoods, which do not have the same
esters and oils as Pine or cedar.  In fact, most places that have banned
fireplaces but allow pellet stoves, do not permit the use of compressed
pine pellets..they are too soft and do not burn slowly enough to completely
consume all particulant matter in the smoke, even in stoves with catalytic
(reburn) converters.

I am sure softwood pellets are available, but I have never seen them.

MC, The Rude One