From:
Ferret McDuff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 1996 13:20:32 -0600
I watched Second Noah the other nite and didn't seem to find it anywhere
near the negative experience that Dick did.  Yes, it is true that the woman
did wildlife rescue but the two ferrets (cute little fellows) were never
portrayed as anything but pets.  I thought it was wonderful that the ferrets
went to bed with the kids and the mother had no reservations about tucking
them in together.

The comment about people not keeping animals as pets which belong in the
wild was made in regards to a cute baby aligator which grew up to be a full
grown aligator.  Who wouldn't agree with that?

I thought the ferrets were shown was very positive.  In addition I though
the story line was endearing.  While they did not go out of their way to
preach that ferrets are domestic animals, as I'm sure we would all have like
to have seen, neither did they do anything to directly imply that they were
wild animals.  It seems to me that they just didn't deal with the issue.
Maybe because they didn't want to get involved in the controversy.  Probably
because it had no bearing on the story they were trying to tell.  Until they
take a stand one way or another or make some truly damaging statements, I'll
give them the benifit of the doubt and continue to enjoy the positive
showing of the pets.

Because we are so often on the front lines fighting people who are genuinely
trying to say ferrets are wild and dangerous we tend to become oversensitive
to what might be harmless comments.  Remember, strange as it may sound there
are many people out there who don't even know there is a "controversy" about
ferrets and could care less about it one way or another.  If we start
declaring as an enemy anyone who is not as zealous as we are we not only
alienate the neutral minds but start down a path I personally would not be
comfortable with (anyone remember reading about the Spanish Inquisition or
the McCarthy era?) Remember, it is easy to find devils in the dark....if you
are looking for them.

When the day comes that they say or do something which portrays the ferrets
on the show unfavorably and unrealisticly (and I don't mean that they won't
use their litter pans or that they steal things, dig up plants, and are
constantly into trouble.  That may be unfavorable but it's true) You can
count on the fact that I will be among the many writing polite but firm
letters informing them of their mistake and correcting them.  Until then I'm
going to sit back and enjoy the cute ferrets in prime time.

BTW: I don't think the program will last very long.  It has a cute but
weak story premise and it is running against Star Trek Voyager, a proven
performer.