Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2008 21:41:09 EDT
Hi TLE! Last year my ferrets Gracie and Fearrless Shakespeare indicated
to mew it was time to get them a pet. So, I learned that a bowling
friend of mine was breedineg Chihuahuas. My family had a 100lb Germ.
Shep/Lab mix for 15+ years till two yrs ago, so this was quite a change
for us. Plus, we always had mutts from shelters or someone didn't want.
We fell in love with the tiny pet Chi and bought her. When Bella Mia
came home she was 1/2 the size of the 2 ferrets, so she got picked on a
lot, especially by Shakespeare. Shakespeare treated Bella like a ferret
and insisted on dragging her by the neck all over the place and poor
Bella was a chubby,square puppy and most the time she couldn't get
upright fast enough to get away. We had to watch them a lot and save
Bella quite a few times. Well, as time went by Gracie and Shakespeare
and Bella became very good friends and played well together. Now Bella
is 6 lbs and bigger than Gracie Girl (Shakespeare had passed in the
interim) and got a little control in their play fighting. Bella and
Gracie Girl are now the best of friends and play wrestle together all
the time. I have some great pics but I don't know how to post them
here. They love getting on my waterbed and tease each other. If Gracie
girl gets fed up, she gives a loud and hiss and a little nip on bella
leg or back and straightens Bella out fast. I think putting Bella with
them as a baby and having her grow with them has made a big difference.
Now, not all Chi's are great for ferrets but i think with any breed
it depends on the dog (and the ferret).the only problem now is Bella
thinks she's a ferret. She sleeps in dark spots and inside blankets
and stuff. She only likes ferrets kibble, no matter what brand dog food
I buy (dry or moist) and she only likes totally ferret treats, no dog
bisquits!!! The ferrets trained her too well! I just love to watch her
and Gracie together, they are sisters forever!

Oh, and that was a terrible story about those elderly animal hoarders.
I'm trying to see if any of them will get transferred up to New York
so I can possibly adopt one!