From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 1996 08:12:59 -0500
I imagine that we'll be seeing a lot of ferrets with diarrhea in the coming
months.  I hope this might help.  Please remember that I am not a vet, just
a shelter operator.  When a ferret starts vomiting, take it to a vet ASAP.
Diarrhea can be life threatening to a ferret.  Their small mass makes
dehydration very likely.  A vet can administer SQ.  fluids that may save
its life.

Diarrhea, if it's more than a single episode, should be treated
aggressively.  First make an appointment with your vet.  She what he/she
recommends.  Likely the recommendation will be for you to get fluids and
food into your ferret ASAP.

At the shelter here, we make up a Duck Soup made from pulverized,
high-quality, dry kitten food (about 1/2 cup); Sustical ((about 1/8 cup)
(human food supplement found in grocery stores and drug stores - we use
strawberry flavored- , usually in 8 oz six packs); Nutrical or Nutristat
(about an 2 inches); a little Ferretone or Linetone (one to two pumps); and
water or Pedilite.  You can also add chicken (baby food).  If the ferret
will eat it on its own, add enough water to make a thick paste.  If it
won't, make the mixture watery.  It helps to warm it in the microwave but
stir it with your fingers before serving to make sure that there are no hot
spots.

First try putting some on your fingers and let the ferret lick it off.  If
it will, gradually lower your fingers to the bowl and it may actually start
eating the mixture on its own.  If it won't use a feeding syringe (baby
supplies at the drug store).  Put the tip of the syringe in the corner of
the ferret's mouth between the lips and teeth and squeeze the mixture out of
the syringe slowly.  You DON'T want the ferret to inhale the mixture - very
bad.  Feed about 15 cc or so if you can (normal adult ferret - less for a
kit; ask your vet what's right for your ferret).  Intersperse the food with
water - lots of water.  Repeat every 3-4 hours - this means 24 hours a day.

To control the diarrhea, we use 1/3 cc of Kaopectate or Pepto Bismol every 4
hours (again check with your vet for dosage).  Our vet usually prescribes
Amoxicillin along with the Kaopectate/Pepto Bismol, and Carafate to reduce
the possibility of an ulcer forming.  (Black tarry stools are usually a sign
of ulcers, but small ulcers may not bleed enough to blacken the stools.
Don't give the Carafate at the same time as the Kaopectate/Amoxicillin.
Generally we continue the Amoxicillin and Carafate treatment for 30 days,
but we may stop the Kaopectate/Pepto-Bismal a day or so after the diarrhea
is under control, depending on the consistency oft he stools.

Again the treatment must be aggressive.  Start at the first signs of
trouble, see your vet and follow his/her instructions to medicate, syringe
feed and water.

          Dick B