From:
Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 00:24:02 -0400
With regard to death - dying and the grieving process.  More than once we
have witnessed some remarkable events with ferrets after a cage-mate has
passed over the bridge...

Tonight was no exception.  Hamish was in cardiac arrest again- only 18
hours since the last attack.  He had seen the vet ( regular vet) this AM
was administered lasix to help with fluid and was to have ultrasound
within the next 48 hours... but he had another spell preceded by "the
cough" and was in miserable pain.  Judy called me, not knowing what to
do.  There really was nothing left to do we knew the grim outcome and
knew it was a matter of time... through some shared tears and
rationalizing on the moment-- Hamish knew what to do he dragged himself
to the carrier and looked at Judy.  I told Judy he indeed was ready to
take one last ride.  Hamish loved car rides more than anything else.  So
Judy and hospice Dad Christian took him for a long ride- the long way
back to the emergency vet, the same place he was in the wee hours of
Sunday Am having xrays, fluid tap and cytology run.

This time Mom Judy & Dad Christian were allowed to bring Hamish behind
the doors for his exodus to Rainbow Bridge.  The staff at the emergency
clinic have come to know our courageous hospice Mom well, all the vets
thank her for her loving care of the shelter children.  While Judy held
Hamish very comfortably in her lap the injection was administered IP and
easily very softly Hamish left this earth..  without a fight- for he was
ready to go.  Missing his best gal Miss Marple who we believe was holding
the light for him to follow.

Once back at the hospice Judy called to relay that there was no more
pain- they had returned with the sleeping child.  Her voice though sad
was minus the pain and agony in the previous call.  As she discussed the
visit , the care the vet took, she reported that Crackers was out & about
looking for his brother.

Crackers came out to greet Hamish, and found him lying in the carrier .
Crackers went into the carrier and laid on top of Hamish as if to keep
him warm - or perhaps just to spend a few moments close to his lifelong
friend.  A common practice which had been observed by hospice Mom for
some time in the period of Hamish's waning health.  Crackers stayed with
him for a long - long time.  Then, at one point he jumped up and with
brushed tail ran off to leave a poo in front of Judy's door.  then he
returned to his brother to once again lie down.

As we chatted ( Judy was now relieved that Hamish was not hurting any
more) she looked and Crackers had leapt up onto the kitchen table - he
wanted her attention and a treat..  she gave him a treat and he ran off.

A few moments later she noticed Crackers had gone into their room,
entered the cage and awakened the sister Agatha.  Agatha is deaf and is
extremely fearful of death- she screamed the last time a cagemate died...
any way Judy was NOT planning to let Agatha see Hamish -- then she spies
Casper coaxing Agatha out of the room and down the hall.  As Judy begins
to worry about the outcome, I assured her ( praying my instinct would be
right) it would be alright - after all Agatha this time had the support
of Crackers.  Crackers then led Agatha down the hallway to the kitchen
and to the carrier, then he coaxed her to enter the carrier where Hamish
rests.  This ritual was described to me softly via Judy on the phone as
it occurred.  Once there, Agatha briefly checks things out and goes to
Judy looking up for a treat ( which she received) then both she and
Crackers go back down the hall to their room.

A ritual goodbye and now life can go on hopefully without worry.

Who says these critters are not smart ?  I believe that they realized
their brother was no longer suffering and are relieved as well.
Meanwhile I pray that Hamish is at rest and once again the playful loving
child we knew on earth....

sigh...
another heart string plays a tearful song...

alicia
www.ferretwise.org

Hamish 7/05/98- 6-28-04