From:
Jeanne Carley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 1996 21:54:56 -0400
Hello FMLers,

Thanks to all of you who contacted me to help provide a way for this little
guy to return home.  Today I picked him up from the home of Shelly Brewer,
our rescue volunteer for Santa Cruz, and drove him to the airport for a
counter to counter--DASH transport to the home of a fellow FMLer, Robert
McAllister.  Robert lives in Salt Lake and e-mailed me offering to pick the
little guy up.  Turned out he was also planning to vacation in Kanab, Utah
with his family where this little ferret's family lives.  Some things just
work out that way.  Thank you, Robert, for coming forward and helping out.

I had generous offers from Kelleen of FANG, Bob Church (before he
disappeared and reappeared--after the ferret had been shipped), as well as
many others offering to drive this little one home.  Folks couldn't have
been more generous with their time.  It's simply another example of the love
and affection these little displaced animals receive from unknown
care-givers.

Unfortunately, I couldn't take most folks up on their offer to drive the
little guy out of state.  DFG wasn't too fond of a non-licensed person
taking possession, but as it worked out, Robert provided a terrific solution.

An unsung hero of this whole thing is Shelly.  She paid (are you ready for
this?) $102.00 to fly the ferret counter to counter.  Cargo would have been
cheaper (about 1/2 the price), but the heat prevented us from shipping
cargo.  Anyway, the young man who owns the ferret was supposed to write a
check before we shipped this little guy and didn't come through.  We decided
to ship anyway because of the considerable effort it took just to set up and
orchestrate the flight.

Little does this owner know how much money Shelly spent in obtaining his
ferret's freedom.  Little does this he know how many long distance phone
calls were made on his behalf to potential volunteers in Oregon, Idaho, and
Utah.  )CDFA doesn't reimburse ANY money to ANY of us doing rescue or
shelter work.  Flights, veterinary services, phone calls, internet time--
all come out of our individual pockets.)

Little does this ferret's owner realize how thousands of folks watched and
waited and wondered about the fate of his pet.  And how many of you
generously offered your assistance.  If he did know, maybe he'd realize that
the $102.00 is a cheap price to pay for the safe return of his pet.

Thanks again to all of you.

Jeanne Carley