From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 08:23:47 -0500
Here are the final nominees for the 1999 FML Ferret Hero Award in
alphabetic order by last name.  There were MANY worthy names mentioned, but
only these got the 3 nominations required.  If this process is successful,
we will have several categories for the 2000 FML Ferret Hero Awards!

I am responsible for any errors in the biographies below.  If there are
corrections, please let me know and I will post them.

Voting instructions and solicitations for assistance in designing a plaque
will be in separate posts.

* Bob Church *
Bob Church purchased his first ferret, Sprocket, when he was a
photojournalist in Texas in about 1985.  It wasn't until he moved to
Missouri in 1995 that he became a "ferret slut" as he calls it, and his
horde now numbers 19.  Bob has degrees in photography, archaeology and
zoology, and is currently working on a PhD in zooarchaeology.  Bob is an
expert in identifying animals from tiny pieces of bones.

Bob's scientific background has led him to amass a huge collection of
scientific references on ferrets.  He has recently organized the "Ferret
Geek List" to help compile and organize these references.  His scientific
background also makes him one of the most vocal opponents of the poor logic
and apparent lack of scientific skills of ferret adversaries such as the
California Deparment of Fish and Game.

Bob is the FML's resident expert on ferret natural history, biology, diet
and domestication.  His personal research has led him to conclude that
the typical ferret diet of kibble may be an important factor in the rise
of common diseases like insulinoma and adrenal tumors.  He has devised a
recipe known as "Bob's Chicken Gravy", and many FMLers report positive
changes in their ferrets as a result of switching to this high protein
and fat, low carbohydrate diet.

* Bill Gruber *
Bill Gruber (known as BIG) took over moderation of the Ferret Mailing List
on November 27, 1994 with issue #1027.  In the 5 years since, membership
has grown from about 680 to over 3000, and BIG has produced about 1850 FML
Digests on a daily basis (sometimes twice a day when there are hot issues),
rarely missing a day for even for holidays or vacations.

In moderating the FML, BIG reformats the posts to a standard format,
removes extraneous header and formatting information and sorts them by
topic.  If you've ever seen a partially formatted FML that has slipped
out by mistake, you will understand the magnitude of the cleanup he does.
Even harder though, is the true moderation: stopping objectionable or
inappropriate posts, making sure discussions stay on topic, eliminating
spam and strongly commercial posts, etc.  This is an incredibly difficult
task, and BIG walks the thin line between moderation and censorship with
great care.  That the FML is one of the largest longest running mailing
lists on the internet is a testament to that care.

BIG is currently owned by Nellie, who is pictured with her departed sister
Sophie in Modern Ferret #22.

* Dr. Charles Weiss *
Charles Weiss graduated from University of Missouri School of Veterinary
Medicine in 1990 and currently practices in Potomac, Maryland, where
ferrets comprise about a third of his caseload.  He treats 5-20 ferrets
every day, 6 days a week, and performs an average of 5-7 ferret surgeries
a week.

Dr. Weiss has published numerous articles on ferret related topics
including the largest clinical studies to date on the two most common
diseases afflicting ferrets today: insulinoma and adrenal tumors.  He
performed the first clinical trials using drugs (Lupron and others) to
treat adrenal tumors, and recently developed a new technique involving
cryosurgery to more effectively and safely remove right adrenal gland
tumors.  He does presentations on a regular basis at veterinary
conferences, and answers calls daily from veterinarians requesting
information and advise for ferret surgery and medicine.  He has recently
produced a professional videotape of common ferret surgeries (including
the new cryosurgery technique), diagnosis of common diseases, pre and post
operative care, etc, as an educational tool for veterinarians.  To assist
ferret shelters, he made the video available to them at a reduced price
for the month of November.

Most of Dr. Weiss' research is done during his "spare" time and at he own
expense.  He makes sure the results of his studies are easily available
not only to the veterinary community, but also to the ferret community at
large.  Over the last year, he has greatly widened the options for
treatment of adrenal disease in ferrets.

* Skeeter *
The best I can tell from my research, Skeeter made his (her?) first
appearance on the FML in January 1999.  Little is known about Skeeter; he
is apparently a ferret who crossed over the Rainbow Bridge and had access
to a computer and email there.  Skeeter would greet new arrivals at the
Rainbow Bridge, show them the delights of the area, and report back to
their loved ones on how they were doing.  Skeeter (who has apparently been
working on other assignments recently) has touched many hearts and brought
great comfort to sorrowing humans left behind.

If anyone has more information on Skeeter, please email me privately and I
will summarize for the FML.