From:
Linda Proulx <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 May 2005 00:10:16 -0400
On Tuesday May 3rd we were scheduled to pick up six of the babies we left
with a friend while we were at the symposium.  We had made it for about
7 p.m. so that she would be off work and ready to have me pick them up.
Sadie Mae was one of the little girls I had with her.  She was 8 and 1/2
years old and had adrenal and lymphosarcoma.  I knew her time was very
limited.  She was not responding well to the prednisone that she was on
twice a day but did not seem to be in any pain.  She still chowed down
on her gravy and gave the best kisses ever.  I had a feeling in the
very bottom of my heart she would not make it till I got home from the
symposium.  I was very shocked that she had made it as long as she did.
I got a call Tuesday morning from Lisa (the girl who was watching her)
saying that she went to give Sadie Mae and everyone there gravy for the
morning and Sadie Mae had passed away in her sleep.  I was crushed and in
a way a little relieved.  She did not go in a horrible amount of pain,
she went on her time and the night before she got extra special one on
one time all to her self.  She was the sweetest little black sable girl.
She loved more than anything to bite your fleas.  She came into the
shelter with her cage mate Twinkle Toes who is waiting for her at the
bridge.

Bud was a very sweet boy of about 8 and 1/2 years.  He was staying
here at the shelter while his real mom is in Okinawa.  We would always
ferret-sit him while she went out of town or had house work done.  When
he came to her he had a bit of a bum leg.  It wouldn't bend right.  We
took him to a ferret knowledgeable vet who told us he had no ligaments
at all in his knee.  He did not seem to need it at the time but would
eventually need the leg amputated because he would get arthritis in it
and it would be more comfortable without the leg.  While he was with us
he ended up having adrenal surgery and his rear leg amputated.  He was
getting around so well.  We ended up making him the shelter spokes
ferret.  He posted to the FML a few times I believe as the Bud Miester.
The last week or so he had not been feeling well but was still eating the
chicken gravy.  This morning I was awakened by what I thought was Bud
falling over and having a bit of trouble regaining his balance.  I was
very shocked to see him convulsing.  We rushed him to the vet who helped
him dance again.  He should be met by Noodle and Fifi.  They were his
cage mates from his real mommy's house.

There are quite a few other ferrets there at the bridge to meet these two
precious babies.  They leave a huge hole in my heart and will always be
with me.

Linda and the furry and not so furry ones
Dook-N-Dance Ferret Shelter
www.dook-n-dance.org