From:
Aaron Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 06:09:50 -0700
Well, I just got the worst possible news.  Our male ferret of 5 years
probably has cancer of the spleen.  The vet said they could try invasive
surgery in the next week or so but if successful it would only give him
another year.  Right now he thinks maybe 4-6 months by the size of the
swelling.  You can actually feel it in him.  He ruled out an obstruction
because he's pooping fine and it's grown in the last two weeks.  He
also said that if he opens him up and finds that the cancer has already
spread, it would be inhumane to wake him up.  I'm torn but Bandit doesn't
appear to be in any pain right now so I think I'm going to let the
disease take it's course.  To put him through the pain of surgery
recovery with no guarantee that it would even help seems to would be no
more humane than the pain that would be caused by a blood rupture of the
spleen.  When I notice any pain or rapid decline in his behaviour though,
I know what I have to do...

Aaron