From:
Donna Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 23:29:47 -0400
We didn't have much of a demonstration due to the last minute timing of the
event, but the All About Bandit Ferret Shelter & Rescue director, Carol Scott
and her attorney husband, Jim, met with the director (not sure if this is her
title) of the Washington, DC Animal Shelter and was assured that the kit was
going to placed and not euthanized. It seems that this individual was not
familiar with the most recent code as pertained to the care and disposition
of animals, namely ferrets, which are, of course, illegal in DC. Jim Scott
made her aware of the most recent version of the code that she should be
operating under and she seemed receptive to it. At this time we do not know
if any Virginia or Maryland shelters will be informed in the future if other
ferrets are brought to the DC Animal Shelter. Thanks to those of you who
called Carol or Jim and offered your help.