Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 13:39:30 +0000
Hey FMLer's

"Ferret Extravaganza '98" in Cincinnati, Oh.

What a show!  I just want to take a minute to compliment Lori Sies , Rachel
Gay and TriState Ferret Connection for organizing such a great event.

Despite our discuss with the Ramada Inn's, cleanliness, personnel and air
conditioning (Which was not controlled by the show organizers and has
declined since last years show.) I would have to say it was the best show
we have been to yet!

Friday night after checking in, we were going down the hall towards our
room.  When an unsuspecting hotel guest (non-ferret owner) opened her door,
only to be confronted with a stack of cages filled with anxious and curious
ferrets, belonging to a another exhibitor in the room on the opposite side
of the hall.  The poor woman screamed and nearly jumped out of her skin.
It was all I could do to keep my composer and not fall to the ground
laughing.  It probably wouldn't have been nearly that funny if she would've
had a heart attack and I'm sure she wouldn't have been amused.  I can only
imagine what story she would be telling her friends in the near future,
especially when I explained we were really there for a ferret show.  I
think her exact words were "You've got to be kidding".  I did encourage
her to come down to the show and see for her self.

The show consisted of three separate rooms.  The first and largest room was
the display area for vendors, clubs and organizations.  The second was for
exhibitors and their ferrets.  The third was for judging (This room could
have been a little larger and cooler).  All the rooms were connected via a
speaker system which allowed the M.C (who was excellent) to keep everyone
aware of activities, vendors and judging status.  Even despite a slight
delay, all judging was completed by 7:30.  We met several people who were
showing ferrets for the first time and none of them had any trouble
understanding where to go or what to do next.  A true testament to just how
organized this show was.

This was the first show that we (my wife and I) actually got to be ring
stewards.  If you ever get the opportunity do this "Jump on it".  The
education you get is well worth it!  I have a whole new appreciation for
the judges.  Diane Bodofsky was the judge I was assigned too.  She did an
excellent job in explaining the details of judging and showed an incredible
amount of patience in answering all the questions I threw at her.  If you
think judging is easy, try picking up and rotating a variety of squirming
ferrets weighing from one to five pounds, holding a different one every
three to five minutes and calling out numbers for about ten hours with a
couple of small breaks and a hour for lunch.  So, what do they get for all
this hard work?  NOTHING!

As usual we met and made several new friends as well as seeing many old
ones.  Even though none of our three ferrets placed, we had a great time
just hanging out and socializing.  We even got to hang out with one of the
legends and voices of reason from the FML, Linda Iroff.

I'm always amazed at all the ferret related items available at these shows.
Nita (the wife) was able to add many new items to her collection including
two jewelry pieces, which are her favorites.

We look forward to seeing everyone in Chicago and Lancing.

Jerry, Nita and eigth should have been enough, plus one