From:
"Jennifer H." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 May 2000 21:05:58 EDT
I picked up a young male today, he is between 12-16 weeks, his coat is
rough and discolored, but with proper nutrition it appears he might be a
cinnamon.  He is young, but very large.  The owners are expecting a baby
and the wife is convinced the ferret would 'eat' her newborn.  Long story,
but I felt the best thing for this boy was to pull him out of the home and
place him elsewhere.

Due to his obese appearance and apparent lack of energy, we were squeezed
into the schedule at my local vet.  It appears this boy has survived with
little time outside the cage and a diet of little more than bread.  He is
quite friendly considering how he has lived, though he is afraid of people.

He is fine once in your arms, but picking him up seems to be stressful on
him.  He has nipped once, not vicious, but it is clear he scares easy.  I
can't believe this guy was handled, if he was, he was handled roughly.

The saddest part about this little butterball is that he seems to be
clueless how to play.  He retreats to the cage and watches the others play
and dance.  When we try all the favorite toys, he noses them and seems to
ask what is he to do next?  He did pretty well playing with a single fuzz,
but seemed confused to be in the midst of a gang dancing around and running
through tunnels.

I have little doubt that with love, patience and some gentle time, this boy
will turn out to be a loving snugglebum, he already seems content to rest
in your arms.  He is simply a scared, confused guy who needs a lesson that
humans can be loving, gentle and great playmates.

If anyone is interested, please use my [log in to unmask] address,
my [log in to unmask] seems to be on the fritz, cannot access the account
at all.

Hugs to all the sick and old fuzzies out there,

Jen and Gang