From:
Michele* <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 23:28:31 -0500
I decided to stop vaccinating my ferret Odin (now over the Rainbow Bridge)
after he had a small vaccine reaction.  He lost a patch of hair on his
back that never grew back.  (he later had adrenal problems, but this
wasn't associated).  About 4 years after I stopped vaccinating him, I had
the chance to adopt a puppy that was recovering from distemper.  I didin't
want to risk my boys health, so we drew a distemper titer on him.  (I am
a vet tech and this is routinely done for dogs and cats that have vaccine
reactions).  The lab has a specific test just for ferrets.  Well 4 years
after his last vaccination he still had a very strong protective titer.
My point being, if you ferret has a vaccine reaction, why don't you get a
distemper titer pulled w/ your yearly bloodwork?  Most ferrets will still
be protected.

Freya & Loki