From:
DOOK-WOOF-DOOK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 07:20:21 -0500
Well.......first of all, the reason why we shelter is because there is a
need for it.  Lets face it, there are alot of people in this world who
should not own a stuff animal, yet along a real one.  That is a fact of
life.  When you enter into sheltering, or at least when I did, I didn't
not go in with the idea that I would have all "rosy" stories.  The need
for shelters exist for the most part because animals are disposable (to
alot of people).  They don't educate themselves, the stores to a HORRIBLE
job at education (SHAME ON THE PET STORES), and we are dealing with an
animal that in my mind gets sick WAY too often to be continually
massively bred.  I have said this in the past, we would not TOLERATE
this as dog owners, we should not tolerate it as ferret owners.  You hope
that the good "stories of going out" are better or make up for the bad
"stories we get coming in".  Honestly, I don't even ask about the stories
anymore.  You never get the truth in most cases.  What I do, is get the
information in regards to food and potty habits.  I ask for medical, but
most of the time, they have NEVER seen a vet.  I take that ferret and
start from scratch.  I evaluate each one when they come through the door
and treat them as if I found them walking on the street with no medical
history.  I don't ask about stories, because frankly it is depressing.

If you give that ferret a better life, provide food, water, clean litter
and comfortable bedding, you already have made a 100% difference in most
of the ferret's lives that we as rescue people see.  To me, that is my
job.  My job is also to screen people, but then again, you can be lied
to.  So I have in my contracts that the ferret comes back here, if they
don't want them anymore, or changes in their lives.  I tell them that no
questions will be asked.  If the ferret is sick, bring them back sooner
then later.  In most cases (had it happen twice), the ferret we remain
here if they come back again for a severe issue.  My cases were both
biters, in which case they went to live with a friend who fosters for me.

I think one must focus, not on the bad stories, but on what one can do
for that animal while your crossing it's path.  Caring for them everyday,
is the easy part.......screening potential owners, to me that is the hard
part.  And of course you do loose all Faith in Mankind, as for there are
a ton of really messed up people out there who like I said should not
even own a stuff animal.

But, I plug on.................
Marguerite

Life is not how many breaths you take, but
how many times it takes your breath away...
TinyPrints Ferret Rescue PetFinder Web Page
http://www.tinyprintsontheheart.petfinder.org
TinyPrints Ferret Rescue Store
http://www.tinyprintsontheheart.com/onlinestore.htm
Aloha Ferrets Ebay Store