From:
"Aileen N." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 06:22:04 -0800
First, I'm really sorry this is not ferret related, but I am having
trouble getting in touch with anyone that can give me an answer.  Also, I
spent 20 minutes typing this once, and Yahoo Groups lost my post when I
tried to sent it to the Ferret Health List.  So this time I will make it
short and sweet and also post it to the FML.  I also apologize if Yahoo
happens to find my other post and this shows up twice.

I'm looking for a vet's opinion here:

I just adopted a beagle (Camille) that was found stray and pregnant.
After birth (of 8 puppies) she was spayed.  The pups are about 8 weeks
old.

Camille is having some sticky, slightly bloody discharge from her vaginal
opening (is that what it's called in dogs?).  When I adopted her Saturday,
there was a small amount, say two-three large drops worth.  The rescue
people told me it was normal so soon after a birthing/spaying.

Saturday evening there was a little more bloody sticky discharge, and
Sunday afternoon after a bath and a nap, there was some more (about the
amount that you get when you blow your nose).  This morning (Monday) there
was still more, mostly mucousy with some blood mixed in.  This is gross -
when I picked her up, it got on my hand and it stretched about the length
of my index finger.

Is this really normal?  Should I watch and wait or get her to a vet ASAP?
I've never experienced this before nor heard of it happening.

I'm sorry this is not ferret-related, but I don't know who else to ask
and my 24-hr vet's office is a pain in the ass.  (No matter when I call
or what I call for, they always say "Well, just bring him/her on in and
we'll have a look-see" after I've sat on hold for 13 minutes.) Also, I
can't get ahold of her foster mom to get her medical records yet.

Thanks for your help!

=====
Aileen & the Herd
Welcome to our newest addition: Camille, the beagle!
The Ferrets: Kyle, Noel, & Toby
The Dogs: Rootie the beagle & Tank the GSD/basset
Still missing Sandy, Gizmo, & Slinky. We love you.

Check out the Herd's website at: http://www.geocities.com/anippy