From:
alicia ferretlady drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 May 2005 21:26:07 -0700
I have to make an effort while the experience is fresh to jump in and
SAY-- "THANK YOU BOB!" for the dininng tip in St Louis.  Looking for a
affordable adn enjoyable source of nouriashment post symposium Bob C was
quick to advise me ( and opthers) to check out the St. Louis Airport
Diner.  After a very LONG weekend full of lectures , set up, take down
and educational information - I strolled over to get some sustanence
before my returning plane trip to NH.  We were advised that the Airport
Diner a short walk for the hotel was a good place to eat.

Lo and behold we found a pleasing location to recline in padded booths
for a meal.  Chink, tink, tink ... a sound that will stay embedded in my
mind for a time to come.  Chink, tink tink, I settled into our booth with
a compliment of ferret folks after the long event-- craving a home cooked
hot meal.  Chink, tinmk, tink.

I gazed the menu and decided this night would be a great time to eat a
wholesome meal and attempt to restore the fuel I expended with long days
this week.  Grilled Beef liver & onions - sure to boot the red cells was
my choice to be followed by some rest and comfort.  THANKS BOB - no
greasy items to clog the arteries-- my red blood cells will be refreshed!

As we awaited the meals we had time to relax adn reflect- we chatted with
friends we may not see for a long time other than through our mutual FML
list.

Drinks arrived and we chatted on.  How awesome to finally have comfort,
companionship, reflections adn a hot home cooked meal .  We are certainly
blessed for the expertise of our friend Bob in guiding us to this last
meeting place in preparation for our trips to distant locations.  The
meals arrive - one at a time.  Chink, tink, tink.  Sometimes the meals
separated by as much as a 20 minute wait, arrive at the table -- and we
think so what?? -- afterall a little delay gives us greater time for
fellowship.  One by one the meals arrive - the Philly cheese steak on
my right - resembling a fimo delight!  Finally arrives my grilled beef
liver & onions a topping of gravy piled high on top.  Hmm piled high on
top?  I thought gravy would run?  Oh well it looks pretty darned good as
does the baked potatoe as compliment and a genrous serving of sour cream.

Chink, tink tink.  I cut into the slice of grilled beef liver-- and with
my fork lift it to my salivating mouth - anticipating the enjoyment of
this healthy meal which will invigorate.  Once I savor the first piece--
sigh... it lacks the warmth of the hot meal... it looks cooked... ah
well, I ask the waitress as she delivers another meal-- "please , will
you ask the cook to warm this up?  and Thank you.  " ( Hey Bob?)

Okay,more friends receive their meals and 22 minutes later my meal
returns from the kitchen.  I prepare to savor this meal again, cutting a
large piece of liver with gravy atop- raising the fork to my lips I pop
the food in and chew.... Not hot-- no and whats more A sharp edge causes
me to choke - it seems a spot of this meat is charred .  I flip the meat
over , not believing this could be anything else but a small spot that
was over heated, and to my dismay -- chink , tink, tink is the sound of
my fork tapping the grilled liver - which is now no more than a cindered
slab.  Chink, tink, tink as my dining partners roar with laughter.....
and in the end when the waitress returned her remark to my exclamation of
dismay at my evening meal is ... "I don't like that anyway." ?????  This
is St Louis customer service?  Huh BoB?

I was not the only person tonight that went without a hot home cooked
meal, it seems others in the group were also somewhat dismayed--- alas
our waitress felt we should be more than happy to pay the check-- and as
I took the pile of bills and wadded them up in my fist to allow her ample
time to think about how she did not service her paying public well---
the waitress returned with a plate of dinner rolls.

"Here are your dinner rolls", she remarked at the close of our 90
minute adventure in eating.  I did reply they perhaps would have been
appreciated at the beginning of the meal -- and she then informed us she
had waited herself a good 30 minutes to get the from the cook.

Aye -- Bob is this the best meal the heart of St Louis has to offer?
If so, I commisserate with you!  While my disappointment was for nary a
meal - - you poor fellow must delight more in the mice your coveted fur
children consume!  Though we , and I certainly appreciate your kind
direction - you can bet the NEXT TIME I will consult another source for
guidance on the evening meal.

It was GREAT seeeing you agian -- your compromised taste in dining is not
a direct reflection on you it surely must be a result of excess humidity
of the St Louis swamp environment, but- and I surely do now hope the
recently trimmed beard you sported on Sunday was not amongst the salad
bar fixins at the St Louis Airport Diner!

Fondly in ferrets,
Alicia drakiotes