From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 1995 23:26:53 -0400
Hello everybody,

I have been reading a lot lately about ferrets having reactions to their
vaccines.  I would like to pass on a little secret that no one believes in,
but I'd like you all to have your vets try it anyway.

I ran a survey awhile back on Distemper reactions in ferrets.  I am the one
who sent copies of all the results to both United Vaccines and the USDA
because no one was paying attention to what was happening with FERVAC D.

Anyway, one question I asked was WHERE the ferret was being innoculated.
Ferrets which received the shot in the neck or shoulder area had a higher
rate of having a reaction than those ferrets shot in the rump or back leg.

Ask your vet to innoculate in the rear of the ferret.  also space the
distemper shot and the rabies shot apart by at least two weeks.  Stay at the
vets for 20-30 minutes AFTER the shot is given.  If you innoculate at home,
make sure you do it when your vet is open or you have the proper chemicals
available to you.

And please innoculate - kits at 6-8 weeks, 9-10 weeks, and 12-14 weeks, then
annually; adults should be innoculated once and then again three weeks later,
annually after that.  Canine distemper is 100% fatal in ferrets.
Rabies innuculations once a year, no earlier than 12 weeks of age.

Pam Grant
Shelters That Adopt & Rescue Ferrets