Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 15:57:44 -0000
It seems that several people in the not-too-distant past mentioned that
they were not bonding or wanted to know how long it takes.  Someone said
it had been several days or weeks, if my fuzzy memory serves me right.  I
thought I would share a story of a couple of rescues I took in in 1999.

Giggles was terrified of EVERYTHING when I got her.  She is a tiny little
thing and would tremble constantly.  She ran away from other ferrets,
trembling and pooping as she went.  I kept kissing her and loving her and
she quit pooping quite so much, but still trembled all the time.  I was
really afraid to try and place her because I didn't want her to endure any
more trauma.  It took almost a year for her to stop the pooping around the
other ferrets - and me - and now, 2 years later, she will answer to her
name.  She is a delight and I am so glad I didn't *get rid of her* - and,
believe me, I was tempted!

Shadow joined us on Mother's Day, 1999.  He was distant.  Hold me, let me
sit around your feet, but I have NO emothional interest in you type guy.
It was very hard to really *like* him because he didn't care.  I trie to
kiss him and he turned his head!  Well, 1 year 10 months later- today he
kissed me on the cheek.  Not once, but twice.  He took a shower with me,
too.  Again, I thought about finding him a home with someone he *liked*
better than me, but I am so glad I didn't *get rid of him* either.

My point.  It may take a looooooooooong time for them to bond.  It may be
something in their past we neither know or understand.  But, in the end,
when they do - and they will, if you hang in there - let you know that
you belong together, you eill be glad you are together.

renee :)
 & 4 formerly homeless loves,
 awaiting Bubbles and Freddy