From:
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 08:26:25 -0800
>From:    "J. Matthew Saunders" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Two little things.
>I am looking to adopt a second fuzzie to keep Sherlock company when Paula
>and I aren't around.  I would like to look into adopting from a shelter, but
>don't know of any in my area.  I live in Blacksburg, VA, which is close to
>Roanoke.  Any thoughts?

Don't know of any shelters that close to Roanoke.  We're currently in Dale
City VA and might be moving to Winchester area this summer.  This or North
Carolina is about as close as it gets.  BUT... how far are you willing to
travel?  My parents live in Waynesboro and we get down that far all the
time.  We can arrange to meet you somewhere.  I used to go to
Radford/Blacksburg all the time but haven't been in a while.  We'd do the
feel each other out through email and phones.  Write private email...

I wrote this public only to give other people in other areas without
shelters ideas.  Some shelter folk would be willing to travl or might be
going somewhere anyway.  Especially traveling to ferret shows.

Roanoke used to be a hot spot on the ferret curcuit.  Even had shows there
back in the IFA days.

>From:    Heidi Reagle or Jason Matchett <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: rabies shots?

Imrab-3 HAS been tested and approved by the USDA for ferrets.  Some rabies
vaccines will cause problems with ferrets but Imrab has proven to be well
received with few reactions.  They can happen but have been few.

Ferrets CAN get rabies.  They are very resistant and are usually not kept
where rabid animals can get to them but a vaccination is a good idea.  Well
its also a legal responsibilty in several states.

>From:    Austin Owens <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: angoras
>Got me wrondering casue there are several breeders I have seen with ads for
>angora ferrets... are they or are they not?  I have a mag with several ads
>in it for angora fuzzies.... Please let me know....

Only ones we trust are Quality Ferrets.  Glasgow had a deal with a breeder
in Sweden but that fell apart - but after the ad ran with pictures from
Sweden.  To be fair we ought to reveal that Lars and Nadine are very good
friends of ours and we have agreed to help them import angoras - all
neutered.  You can contact either of us.  There might be another brokering
them but we haven't heard about it.  We have heard breeders claim they had
them when knew for sure they did not.  We don't like this early neuter
policy but thats the way it is.  They want to keep the monopoly (not Lars
but his "suppliers").

We don't groom as much as Sharon and have had no real troubles.  We have a
Pomeranian dog and SHE is a grooming problem.  The ferret hair doesn't mat
the way the dog hair does.  Not a knock on Sharon, just our experiences.
The grooming probably makes hers look even more beautiful than ours.

I think Urban was a bit confused about breeding versus keeping.  From my
understandings they do have potential breeding problems.

>From:    Ferret Rescue of Tidewater <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: What is that?

Nice story.  You handled it very well.

bill and diane killian