From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 08:41:32 -0500
If I can stick my nose into this one for a moment - all the way from NH by
the way - I'd like to remind the citizens of California just how important
it is to get letters and phone calls to their representatives on this issue.

In nearby MA where ferrets were also illegal until last year, their ferret
legalization was delayed for years because the representatives felt that
there was no interest.  They had the legalization bill all set to go, but
received so few calls and letters, that they shelved it and went to work on
other bills where they felt there was more public interest.

It took many many letters, signed petitions, phone calls, FAXs and visits to
convince the legislators that this bill warranted their effort and
consideration.  If the people most effected by the proposed law aren't
interested enough to take a few minutes to write or call, the lawmakers will
figure "Why should I bother?  I have more important things to do."

I can't tell you strongly enough how important your letters and phone calls
are.  If you want ferrets to be legal in California, you MUST get involved.

Not only you, but every potential ferret owner in the state must get
involved.  Not everyone reads the FML.  Talk to friends, coworkers,
relatives, people in pet stores.  Talk a little loudly to a friend in
crowded malls and stores where you can be overheard, about the way the state
is trampling your freedom.  ANYTHING, to get the word out.  Offer to dial
the phone for someone; type a letter for their signature.  If you can, type
a hundred letters and stamped envelopes and hand them out.

This is your best chance in years to get ferrets legalized.  Don't sit by
and "let John/Joan do it" or you'll find that John/Joan has been waiting for
you to do it and this opportunity will be lost, perhaps forever.

Dick B.  - and my $0.02 worth