From:
Heidi Lynne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:00:13 -0700
Greetings all you FML'ers and the ferrets who love them!

If you have been to www.extremeweezils.com lately then you know that I
finally said 'yes' to my husband's lifelong dream of getting a German
Shepherd Dog.  We got a puppy so he can grow up around ferrets and cats,
hopefully in harmony.  I was scared that we would have a hurt or worse
ferret on our hands initially [prior to doing pre-puppy research.]

As it turns out, Saxon, our nine week old German Shepherd puppy, is being
terrorized by the ferrets, not the other way around!  My husband has done
such a great job instilling caution and a hands-off approach as far as
Saxon is concerned with the ferrets, that he now will not try to bite or
stomp on them regardless of what they do.  Instead, he has been forced
to flee ...

The gang consisting mostly of Blizzard [the gang leader,] Bear, Bandit,
Bonzai, and Raven circle around Saxon, go underneath him, and try to jump
on his back for a ride around the house.  This is after three weeks of
CONSTANT supervision when both are in the house roaming freely.  Poor
Saxon gets his nose bit, his belly rudely sniffed, and totally surrounded
by very curious and fearless ferrets!

Consequently, we have had to escort Saxon outside [we have a huge
fenced-in yard, doghouse, front and back entryways to cover in inclimate
weather] while the ferrets are romping outside their room.  We have had
to keep their sessions strictly timed to forty-five minutes or so unless
circumstances are out of the ordinary [who has ordinary circumstances
with ferrets?]

This is NOT what I had envisioned.  Of course I was hoping that by now
our two nine year old cats would be snuggling in piles of ferrets.  THAT
is SO not happening, either.  Sheesh.  I have an animal behaviorist/dog
trainer/fellow medical professional coming for an in-house session this
Saturday to help me help my fuzzies get along.  I am determined to have
this household be as battle-free as possible.  I will continue to work on
canine- feline-ferret relations until the end of my world.

In the meantime, visit http://www.extremeweezils.com/ for all the
pictures, movies, and graphics for your viewing needs!

______  Heidi Lynne  __________
http://www.extremeweezils.com/
email : [log in to unmask]