From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 04:08:37 -0400
Same thing as in humans pretty much:

Epineprine is the biggie if awake so humans who have to respond fast with
a massive reaction take that first if they are still conscious.  If not
conscious then airway (in ferrets a neck stoma and intubation isn't
really a possibility but supplementary oxygen may be used) and fluids to
support the blood pressure which is often crashing, and epi are the first
things.

With a large reaction if there is time a steroid is usually taken next;
those who have counter-indications for steroids might do something like
off-label use of extra Singulair to get down lung inflammation, but if
it comes down to a side effect like blindness due to also having ocular
hypertension and a steroid is needed, well, blind is better than dead
(said as someone in an extended family with several people on both sides
who have both tendencies to anaphylactic reactions and ocular
hypertension so we are adjusted to this reality).

Third is antihistamines to reduce the histamine output.

Your standard human anakit includes two prepackaged epi injectors (in
case one fails or in case the first doesn't hold till the hospital is
reached), a steroid (often Pred), and a strong antihistamine like
Benedryl.

Naw, I'm not used to such reactions in two and four footed critters...

I was very sorry to hear that little one died.  When reactions are caught
in a medical setting there are almost never lives lost; usually that
happens when the individual (of any number of feet) begins reacting
elsewhere and has to get to help.  It is terribly sad that the little
darling beat the odds in a truly tragic way.

Thankfully, the number of reactions compared to the number of ferrets is
still very low and for Purevax it is lower than most, but I have read of
three now with very stronganaphylactic reactions to it: this one who
who died, and two with neuro problems afterward.  Fortunately, in a forum
which probably represents over 10,000 or even more ferrets (Think how
many shelters and large households are here on the FML.) the numbers are
low, but anaphylactic reactions can be scary.  Personally, I find them
scarier to observe than to go through myself, but there are those in the
FML who will tell you that I am weird...

Can't fall asleep tonight.  I am getting past a bug and feel fine for
the first time in a few days but just not getting sleepy like I should
for some reason, so hope this makes sense to you since it is 4 a.m.