From:
John and Diane Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 20:36:47 -0500
Pat Ball wrote:
>... took her 14 of her ferrets to the health centers here in P.G.  County
>when they were running the "new" rabies clinics for ferrets.  As a result,
>her name (and I suppose anybody else that had their ferrets vaccinated
>there) was on a list.  She received a letter from the County yesterday
>informing her that as of 2/02/98, all ferrets will be required to have an
>annual license and a rabies shot.  Altered ferrets will be $5.00 each up
>to 5.  If there are 5 or more, a hobby license must also be obtained.  If
>the ferrets are whole, the license will cost $25.00 per ferret up to 5,
>and again, for more than five, a hobby license is also required.

 Dear Folks -

We are in touch with the head of this department, and we are inquiring about
a "grandfathering" clause, which is common practice for this sort of
problem.  In most jurisdictions, owners who have more than the specified
number of pets will be allowed some sort of exception.  In particular, we
are concerned that Ms. Fincham was identified from county records which were
generated when she took advantage of the new Maryland law which requires
counties to vaccinate ferrets for rabies.  This situation can certainly be
called a "chilling effect" for citizens who want to take advantage of the
state subsidy for low cost vaccinations.  We will be following up with the
State officials about this problem.  In the interim, please continue to have
your ferrets vaccinated against rabies.  You are in violation of the law in
Maryland if you do not.  If you need the names of veterinarians who will
giive low cost rabies shots and are not part of the state system, please
email me at the address below.  NOTE: we expect to get an exception for
persons with ferrets above the allowed limit in this county, but any ferret
owners who receive notices regarding their obligations under this new
ordinance should contact us immediately for advice.  The AFA General Counsel
(James P.  Scott) will be available pro bono to assist.

Diane Rogers,
AFA Legislative and Legal Affairs Committee Chair

--
 John and Diane Rogers - Baltimore Ferret Club
 http://baltoferret.com/bfc