From:
Chris Weiman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 1996 21:32:19 -0500
I forget who it was that asked about what could be used for ferret litter,
but to answer that, I use rabbit food pellets.  I can get 50 pounds for just
under $8.00 at the feed store.  At a pet shop, 50 pounds will cost you twice
as much.  And if you buy it in small quantities, it will cost a bit more,
but still not as much as some conventional litters.  I like the rabbit
pellet litter because it is cheap, it is very absorbent, it smells very
slightly like hay (since it is alfalfa), and the fuzzbutts don't track it
all over like clay litter.  I used to use Yesterday's News when I had one
ferret, but three ferret additions and 6 litterboxes later, Yesterday's News
was too expensive.  It is recycled newspaper in pellet form.  I like the
idea of using recycled stuff, but at $6.00 for 5 pounds it was too costly.
I have heard of several people using wood stove pellets, but I haven't been
able to find any around here.  Hope this helps you decide what to use.

Chris-caregiver to Willow, Smudge, Cricket, Jazzmyn, and Silly the Lab