From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 16:38:56 -0400
In case anyone doesn't understand why I posted about the sling:
As we all know, rear end problems happen for a wide variety of reasons, so
the first step is *always* medical care and testing.  Despite that care
sometimes (rarely) very little can be done.  In Meeteetse's case she has
multiple progressive problems, is 8 years old (MF, chocolate), is not a
surgical candidate but has three medications that help her including a pain
med, and intermittently shows pain, frustration or both.  Yet, she still
loves to play, absolutely loves it, has a grand time, and is a bit too
inclined to over-do it.  With the added support of the sling she gets to
flat-out run with me holding up her rear to a large extent and her using
mostly her strong front legs with her rear ones just lightly touching
down as in dream gliding.  When she gets to do that she pretty well stops
complaining -- it's a quality of life issue.  The wheelchair mentioned in
my other post today should be an improvement over that, though I expect
we'll still use both to help her.  The entire aim is to give her optimal
quality of life for as long as she shows an interest in living.

All or us have known ferrets in that sort of situation (or will in the
future) and ways to keep them happy for as long as possible are essential
to share.