From:
"Meg Carpenter, Chaotic Ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 1995 18:25:07 -0500
Hello All - I meant to post this information earlier, but forgot : (.  On
November 30th, there was an article in the gardening column of the
Washington Times advocating the use of ferret "dung" as a mole repellent.
It seems a man had quite a few moles tunneling happily in his yard.  He
tried everything to get rid of these creatures, including rigging a little
guillotine (sp).  Finally, in desperation, he put ferret "dung" down the
holes.  Ka-Wowie-Ka-Zam -- no more moles.  They went next door to live in
his neighbor's Burmuda grass lawn.  Anyway, I do not have a copy of the
article now, but the writer advocated trying the ferret "dung" as a mole
deterent and thought there should be some sources.  I know that ferret feces
has been used in the past and present to scare away rodents.  I was amused
by the the article, meant to mention it, and as I said, forgot.  However, a
member of my staff received a letter from her mother asking if I would send
a "sack of ferret dung" home with her at Christmas so that she could put it
down the mole holes in her yard..........Do I perceive an underground
backyard business here??  Gad, like many of you, I must have discarded TONS
of this valuable product!

A mouse has been getting into the kitchen cupboard where I keep my sacks of
ferret food.  Last night I cleaned out the cupboard, and at the back of both
shelves placed ferret poop to see if it would keep away little mousie.  I
will let you know if it works.

For Tanya - Canela's prolapsed rectum is not normal.  I am especially
concerned because you mentioned that it contstantly "seeped blood".  You
also mentioned that she was not as active as your other ferrets.  A four
month old ferret should be active enough to make you totally crazy.  Please
get Canela to the vet ASAP.  Several things could be going on here, from
mild to serious.  Don't mean to scare you -- could be just a little fissure
that keeps bleeding, but I suspect she is loosing enough blood to make her
anemic, which would also keep her rundown..  I frequently see pet store kits
with prolapsed rectums.  This, I suspect, is becaise of too young an
introduction to hard regular feed instead of mush which is easier for babies
to digest, or sometimes because of healing from descenting.  Please check
into this and let me and FML know how she is doing.

Scott -- Yes, ferrets do bark.  Usually barking is a warning from a very
alarmed ferret.  Since you mention he is getting dominated, I suspect his
barking is to warn off his aggressive ferret friend because she is upsetting
him.. As things get sorted out, he probably will stop barking.  Ferrets will
bark as a warning, or in fear, or sometimes if they are in pain.  Tucker is
probably saying "Back off, baby!".

Best to all, meg