From:
katharine long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 1997 10:55:25 EST
Someone on the FML recently said that Sandicast has come out with an albino
ferret.  I contacted my local dealer and asked them to order it for me.  I
already have the sable from several years ago.

Anyway, to get to the point, yesterday I got the "Paw Press", Volume VIII,
Issue I, from the Sandicast Collectors Guild.  The new ferret sculpure is
pictured and is labeled "WILD CREATURES: #122 Ferret, White".  Actually, I
can't tell from the picture if its an albino or a DEW.  I immediately wrote
them a letter (they don't have a web site yet) and expressed my concern
about this classification.  The company is based in California.  I said that
I understood the mistake since that is the official party line in
California.  However, given the volatility of the pending legislation and
the wide exposure and respect given Sandicast, this misclassification can
further perpetuate the myth of the DOMESTIC ferret as a wild animal.  I have
asked Ms. Brue to please do what she can to correct this error.  However, I
don't really know what she can do about it now.  Maybe at least future
references to her ferret sculptures can be properly classified.  I also
tried to nicely tell her that perhaps she mistakenly was thinking of the
black-footed ferret but that her two sculptures so far are MOST DEFINITELY
the domestic ferret.

It may be helpful for people to write a nice, informative letter to
Sandicast to express their concern.  Their address is:

     Ms. Sandy Brue
     Sandicast Collectors Guild
     P. O. Box 910079
     San Diego, California  92191