From:
"Michelle Z. Matta" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 1996 11:16:46 -0400
While ours have never placed a 911 call, 2 of our 6 have this "thing" for
the sound the phone makes when left off the hook.  We have a phone that sits
on our bed's headboard.  Several times, whether we were home or out, they
managed to yank on the cord hard enough to pull the phone off the hook.
I've walked in to catch them dancing around the phone as it beeped from
being off the hook.  We first were on to them when my mother asked me one
day when we showed up there who I was on the phone with for so long because
she was trying to reach me before we came down.  We had call waiting and no
computer at that time to blame the modem so I was clueless.  When I went
home, I found the receiver on the bed.  I knew it was one of the ferrets.
Then over time, the two guilty parties fessed up and are still working on
their addiction.

We keep that door shut now and only let them in the bedroom supervised.  Too
many calls were going out to Hawaii that month ;-)

- Mish

MICHELLE Z MATTA
Carnegie Mellon University......Athletic Dept
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/mish/home.html