From:
Thomas Clancy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1993 12:06:15 -0400
Seth, I would opt for the descenting. You *think* you might be able to
stand the smell, you indeed will become accustomed to it. But everyone else
that you come in contact with will know that something is up. Your clothes
and all will smell and you will not be aware of it. I have had a few
friends that had ferrets that were not descented and almost everytime
someone met them a comment was passed about it after they left. I
personally have my ferret descented [a male] and even now there are
times that he doesn't smell the freshest. A bath once every week to
week and a half usually takes care of it. The male is also neutered.

 Again, my personal opinion is that you should [if the opportunity
arises] have them descented. It kills most of the smell and is one
less area you have to worry about [ie: infections].

Thomas

[It doesn't really kill all or even most of the smell.  And the
surgery itself is somewhat tricky, in that even the best vets can
foul up and result with a ferret with continuing complications.  As
we found out - Toby had a duplicate set that abcessed...  Many expert
ferret veterinarians discourage descenting.  We only did it when
one of our females persistantly picked on Toby when he was
a kit, complete with spraying etc.  In retrospect, we shouldn't
have.  Didn't do either one of them any good.]