From:
Barbara Clay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2011 21:13:43 -0700
Dear All,

One of the most hideous of diseases to be confronted with is distemper.
Multiply that fear and grief a thousand times if you are a shelter,
just a shelter, making your way through the world doing rescue and all
alone in that effort, physically and financially. Great, now that
you've wrapped your brains around that, please read more.

Jenny Peterson, Shelter Op in Florida, not only had distemper in her
shelter, but she took it head on and refused to give up without a
fight! One vet advised her to put them all down, she refused!!!.
Forever I will remember that she wrote on Rocky's FB Group, that she
had one lifeline, and that was Joclyns Kiddies, who stood with her and
refused to be taken by this virus without a fight. Joclyns found a CDV
protocol that had not had a peer review, but was saving dogs and cats
lives. She brought this slim ray of hope to Jenny, and she ran with it!

Long story short, heart wrenchingly sad, some ferrets were lost, but
miraculously, some saved. There was Simon who had been infected and
because of Jenny's tenacity and nothing to lose attitude, pursued the
unproven untried protocol. Simon survived. He's her mascot and love
today. He's my hero too!

What would you sacrifice for your ferrets? Jenny had to run costly PCR
and other bloodwork and meds continuously to fight CDV. The vet bills
were astronomical. She's just a shelter, no club or fundraising at her
back. There came a day in the middle of this fight that the owner of
the clinic demanded that her vet bill be paid, or all services to
Jenny stopped. HUH? Wait, she had a distemper, and a protocol that
was working...what do you mean no payment no treatments???

This was a life stopping pivotal point for Jenny, and here is where
we all owe Jenny personally...we really do owe her a great deal of
gratitude!

A huge sacrifice was made at this time, a very personal sacrifice. She
quit her nice established position in a well salaried career in order
to be able to withdraw her pension funds to pay the vet bill, and to be
able to continue testing and treating all those in her shelter, they
were all exposed.

To this day, despite best efforts in this depressed economy, Jenny has
not been able to be re-employed, and continues to work her shelter,
Asti's Ferret Haven.

Jenny's sacrifice not only saved ferrets in her care, but that
knowledge went on to help the Washington and Connecticut shelters as
they were confronted with distemper outbreaks, and all that may have
or will have, encountered a distemper outbreak.

I owe Jenny. If you have a ferret, if you operate a shelter, if you
just love ferrets from afar.................We Owe Jenny. Jenny is a
hero to me. I've never dealt with distemper, but if I do, I know what
to do because of Jenny's incredible daily notes on each ferret, and
what she did. Her hourly daily detailed notes are incredible, and are
on Rocky's FB Group. She went so far as to detailing how she treated
the skin outbreaks from this disease. She micro-managed this disease,
triumphed,....and good for us, she kept incredible hourly notes from
start to finish. We so owe her. now. in her time of need!!!

Her vet bill has continued, her pension funds exhausted! Jenny has
managed up until now with so much personal sacrifice, but once again
the owner of the clinic has said this week ...."Nah, no more, lady ya
gotta pay your bill"... my words, not his.

It's close to $5,000.

Here's my offer and incentive to help Jenny, as if you all needed
anything after reading this, to pull some bucks out of your pockets
to help Jenny.

First three donations of $50 will receive a "Adopt Not Shop Ferrets"
tee shirt donated from Rocky's Ferret Rescue and Shelter, sizes as
available. The first $100 donation will receive a custom made 5 piece
barrel and bedding. Heck, EVERY $100 donation will receive that bedding
set!

Jenny has got the biggest piece of my heart for all she lost, for all
that survived, for all she personally sacrificed and as a result from
that experience, today ferrets are surviving distemper!

Thank you Jenny from the bottom of my heart. You're quite a classy
lady!

She would never have asked for this post, but I can't stand by and
know that today she's struggling, when in reality, this lady changed
the course of medical history, along with Joclyns Kiddies, in how we
can confront a disease that we now know does have a fighting chance!

Paypal: [log in to unmask]

Personal checks/money orders:
Jenny Peterson
821 Ironwood Drive
Melbourne,Florida 32935

Direct payments to her vet clinic: Ask Jenny for the address of the
clinic please.

Coastal Animal Hospital Wellness Center

Further personal direct discussion with Jenny, use:

Come on folks, this lady turned the tide forever more on saving ferrets
from distemper, and sacrificed her own well-being, her own financial
security.

Affectionately,
Barb Clay
Dir of Shelter Affairs