From:
Laura Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 1996 11:46:15 -0400
Hi everyone!
I've been on the Wellpet list for a few weeks and there have been some
interesting threads I'd like to share.

Ethoxiquin is a preservative used in Iams and other pet foods.  Apparently
it is a cancer causing agent.  I am no longer using the Iams and will be
removing the little bit of Chef's Blend they get in a few days.  I didn't
want to take away both foods at once.  I am now mixing Totally Ferret and
Marshals.  I'ld like to have a third food to mix in.  I've heard of 8 in 1
and wonder if it's any good.  I'm hoping to find something hard since Molly
and Peppers teeth are yellow and they have bad breath.  I wonder if I could
give them milk bones dog bisquits for their teeth?

There has been a heck of a discussion on Wellpet re: a natural diet for dogs
and cats including raw meat, chicken and chicken wings from a Dr. Pitcairn's
book.  They use grapefruit seed extract to kill bacteria and parasites on
the food before giving it to their pets.  Ninja got ahold of some raw
chicken once and I had a time getting it away from her!  I'm wondering if
anyone has had experience with such a diet for their fuzzballs.?

Re: Raid,toxic chemicals... Did you know that Lysol has a pesticide in it?
Saw this on TV.

I order that Quick and Brite from TV.  It's great on the carpet including
pet stains, windows, counters etc.  and non toxic.

Laura,Molly and Pepper

          !!!!Super Ferret!!!!
   <<<Faster than a speeding sqeeky toy!>>>
<<<Able to leap tall feet in a single bound!>>>
      <<<Stronger than a paper bag!>>>
                   :)

[Moderator's note: The ethoxiquin discussion surfaces on lots of lists now
and then.  Some people cite studies which "prove" it helps PREVENT cancers,
others cite studies which "show" is CAUSES cancers, some people attempt to
show their fuzzbutts got terribly sick from food containing "the big E",
others show how their animals got sick from fungus growing on non-ethoxiquin
treated food, other's how their kids do better on IAMS than anything else,
etc. etc.  I don't think the issue will resolve itself soon.  Serious talk
about food is welcome, of course, but let's not turn the FML into a list to
debate natural foods vs. artifically preserved foods vs. naturally preserved
foods vs. unpreserved foods vs. organic foods vs. cooked foods vs. raw foods
vs. bovine growth hormone vs... well... you get the idea.  This is the wrong
list to go whole hog about the issue.  (Heh heh... I made a funny...)  BIG]