From:
"Holender, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:38:12 +1300
Greetings,

A few months ago, my 6mth old died rather suddenly.  The blood tests,
autopsy and tissue analysis were all inconclusive.  I've asked (via a
friend) a ferret experienced veterinarian for his comment.  Despite 'being
keen to see the report' I've heard nothing.  My veterinarian has also
followed up on my behalf, but still nothing.  My veterinarian and I are
both keen to get opinions from experienced ferret veterinarians and he has
kindly written up a full report, which I present here.

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions.

I've typed the report in verbatim (give or take a few spelling errors)...

-David.

 --Begin Report--

CENTRAL HUTT VETERINARY CLINIC
8 Hardy Street, Waterloo, Lower Hutt
Telephone 569 3939

RE: Rumpatumpskin, 6 month old male neutered ferret
        Owned by Mr. David Holender, 14 Dyer Street,
        Avalon, Lower Hutt, New Zealand.

Rump. was presented to our clinic 30/07/98.  He was lethargic and inappetant
over the previous 12 hours.  Examination revealed jaundiced mucous
membranes, dehydration and a subnormal temperature.  Urinalysis revealed
the presence of blood and bilirubin in large amounts.  Abdominocentesis and
radiography were unremarkable.  Blood was sent to the lab for analysis (it
did not clot in a plain tube).  Unfortunately Rump.  died later in the day.
Post mortem examination revealed a generalised yellowing of the tissues but
was otherwise unremarkable.  He was in very good body condition.  Samples
were taken for histopathology.

Lab results:

Bloods  - ALK 105 IU/l
        - ALT 1392 IU/l
        - bilirubin 50.5 umol/l
        - total protein 75.5 g/l
        - albumin 29.0 g/l
        - globulin 46.7 g/l
        - A/G ratio 0.62

Haematology -   10% nucleated red blood cells, 4% band neuts, 52% seg.
neuts, 41% lymphoctes, 3% monocytes.  Red cells show marked anisocytosis
with moderate numbers of polychromatic cells, macrocytes and microcytes.
Platelets appear normal.  Many of the lympocytes appear active with an
occasional early form present.

Histology - fibrin thrombi and vessels in the lung indicate an acute DIC
process has occurred probably terminal in the ferret.  There has also been a
terminal haemoglobinuria probably related to severe diffuse haemolysis.
This may be a subacute or chronic process as abundant bilirubin is present
in bile ducts.  In response to this the ferret has mounted abundant
extramedullary haemopoetic responses in multiple organs (liver, spleen,
kidney).  The initiating agent causing haemolysis is not apparent - toxic?,
infectious?, immune-mediated?

Whilst the disease process appears to be one of massive haemolysis with
associated jaundice, the initiating causative agent remains unknown.  There
is no known exposure to any toxic agent and this ferrets companion ("Thor",
7 month old ferret) has shown no symptoms of illness despite the two animals
sharing housing, food, etc.

David Kettles B.V.Sc., M.R.C.V.S.

--End Report--

                       David Holender