From:
Brad Falk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 1997 20:32:01 -0400
I just want to share with you my discovery of a new ferret toy that has made
Pixel a very Happy Weasel indeed.

The toy is called CHEWEASEL and is, you guessed it, a ferret chew toy.  I
saw their ad in the last issue of Ferrets Anonymous Newsletter and decided
to order their free sample.

Cheweasel are star-shaped rubbery toys, about 2 inches across, fully
ferret-digestible.  It's basically a very dense protein-based gummi-like
material, but has no sugar, artificial color or preservatives.

Has this toy made an appearance anywhere else in the country besides
California?

It is made by a company named Hyger-Fur Products in Los Angeles and
available by mail order.  Even though I live in L.A., I don't know anybody
who works for Hyper-Fur, nor is this an ad.  It's just that Pixel liked the
toy so much, I decided to post about it.

This is a real treat for any ferret who loves to chew (rubber, CD cases,
books, humans, you name it).  Pixel, had to have blockage surgery at 8
months for eating to big a chunk off the bottom of a beach sandal, put on
quite a show for us, once she got a hold of that toy.  She is usually a
sweet, gentle and very affectionate ferret.  Once she had sunk her teeth
into the chew toy however, and softened it up a bit - the stuff seems to be
made to absorb ferret saliva - she WOULD NOT LET IT GO.  She carried it off
into a corner and hissed menacingly when anybody even tried to approach.
When we tried to touch her and pick her up, she whipped around, hopped up
and down, and *barked* in a display of ferocity we seldom see in our Queen
Ferret.  She did all this while firmly hanging on to the Cheweasel.  It took
two humans to separate her from the toy that night - one to hold her and
gently soothe her, while the other hung on to the toy unitl she *finally*
decided to let go.

Pixel managed to chew three tips off the star-shaped toy the first night she
got to play with it and she *loved* the stuff.  She has since (over the last
week or so) decimated the sample toy to 1/3 of its original size and remains
fiercely possessive of it.  It has not hurt at all - I watched the litter
boxes closely, but the chew toy is, in fact 100% digestible and does not
affect the stool at all.  We will be buying more (they are $3.69 for three).

While Pixel will fight us for a piece of Cheweasel, Benito seems to be less
than impressed by it and hardly even gave it a good sniff.  So he either
can't be bothered, or he was so intimidated by Pixel's fierce display for
the toy that he decided to yield it to her (even though that is not usuall
his nature).

Here's the address to get a free sample toy (from the July issue of Ferrets
Anonymous newsletter).  Once again, I do not work the company and don't
profit from circulating this information.  It simply is a *great* toy.

Send SASE (55 cents) and ask for free sample toy to:

Hyper Fur Products                (their motto: "We Prefer Ferrets")
6820 Santa Monica Blvd. #123
Los Angeles, CA 90038

Email: [log in to unmask]        (again, this is NOT my address)

The sample comes with all the info, a vet's endorsement and an order form.

I would be really interested in finding out if Cheweasel has popped in other
places, of if this is a truly NEW product.

Claudia
w/ Pixel & Benito
in Los Angeles