From:
Kym Dirks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 09:47:37 EDT
Hello all!

I am catching up on about a weeks worth of posts.  Having a rough week.
But, when I got on to finally read, I felt like I was home!  Thanks for the
laughs.  Bob, with the Daffynitions, Sandy with the Latin terms.....GENIUS!
hahahaha!  You all are a hoot.  I love the cute stories....but of course I
do realize the seriousness of owning ferrets also.  Many posts are tough to
read.....sad.  But it is great to read when ferts are healing, found when
lost, receive great new homes....etc.

Anyway, ferret math struck bigtime here!  Several weeks ago, Tikki, my first
baby died from insulinoma.  I didn't have the knowledge that I now do about
it.  If I did, I would have been able to save him or have him with me a bit
longer.  He was only 6 1/2 years old.  I miss him so much!  After getting
Tikki, (in Jan. '92) I thought I had really gotten in over my head.  But, I
didn't give up.  One year later, Popcorn, my now 5 year old female, came
along.  Both MF ferts.  (They have the distinctive 2 blue dots in the ear)
Well, Tikki showed Popcorn who was boss right away!  But they took a quick
liking to each other.  When he died, of course, Popcorn showed signs of
grief and stress.  So, last Wedns.  I read a post on here from Melanie that
she had a female for adoption.  I jumped at the chance to get Popcorn
another playmate.  Kekey, the newly adopted female, is 3 years old and a
real cutie.  But, she wasn't raised with other ferts.  So far, Popcorn and
Kekey aren't buddies.  But, they tolerate each other.  Kekey is the little
instigator....she jumps on her from behind and attacks, then runs like her
butt is on fire.  Popcorn is the boss!!!  Kekey knows it.  Popcorn is just
under a lb.  She is so tiny and petite, but she holds her own!!  Well,
anyway, I went to the Ferret Expo in New Carrolton, MD on Saturday...
<sigh>.....I just couldn't help it!  It....it.....it is like an addiction to
something!  Lo and Behold!!!!  Along comes my next two.  Tinkey Winkey is a
2 year old male chocolate and Turbo (No Go) is a DEW patterned, also 2 years
old.  Man....when it rains...it pours!  (ferrets that is) Needless to say my
SO was not amused!  heehee But he has already fallen for them.  Popcorn is
also not amused.  However, the boys leave her alone right now.  They know
she is Queen!  Kekey does the same to them....sneak attack!  Then when they
decide to get back at her....well, let's just say that I never heard a
ferret squeak, squeal and hiss so much!  Oh it is a Hoot!!!  All like to
play, however, Tinkey is the real Spaz.  And to watch Tinkey and Turbo (the
adoptees from the expo) play.....reminds me of Tikki and Popcorn.  I love
it!  I just need to get them a little better aquainted.  My living room now
has 3...yes countem, 3 cages in it.  I met a guy at the show who made these
awesome ferret cages, in hunter green, black or stainless.  And his prices
were great!!!  As soon as they are getting along better, I think I will buy
his large, black condo.

I know, she is rambling!  Sorry, just wanted to introduce my newby ferts!
And, to thank you all for such great info and laughs.  Oh, one thing!  There
is so much talk on here about flea control.  Anyone that really knows the
answer to this, and I will read all responses, please help.  It is flea
season here and my ferts got 'em!  I would love to use the once-a-month
products that you put on thier shoulders.  What is the BEST way to keep
these fleas away?  Please don't say....bath them.  That is a very temporary
solution to what will become a BIG problem soon.  Fleas are terrible in MD.
I want to keep my ferts and humans happy.  My vet stocks Frontline.  I am
going there today to get heartworm medication for my ferts.  Is Frontline
for kittens okay to use on my little guys?  Or should I stay away from that
stuff altogether.  Help!!!!  I don't know what to use!  And, also....one
more question.  I give my ferts Ferrevite in the morning.  And a little
Ferretone throughout the day and a bit before bed.  They eat 8 in 1 food.
Is the Ferrevite and Ferretone overkill?  I'm not gonna OD the little
critters, am I?

Thanks for any info you can give me!

Here's dookin' at you kid

Kym and the Zoo Crew
Popcorn - Boss Lady
Kekey - The Instigator  (Hi Melanie!!!!  doing great!)
Tinkey Winkey - The Spaz
Turbo - The No-Go

Kymmie a.k.a. [log in to unmask]

ooo ((((  o) (o  )))) ooo