From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 08:37:49 -0500
Regarding the bite and kill post I put in yesterday: I mean rabies
vaccinations given at home AREN't considered legal.  Sorry.  This came up
awhile back when a woman who's ferret had bitten someone and been
confiscated called GLFA for help.  Turns out she said she gave her own
rabies shot but didn't have any proof, which wouldn't have helped anyway -
its only legal if given by a vet.

Jeff - Question: I read and think I understood your discourse on HIV in
ferrets.  So I would think it would also follow that ferrets cannot get FIV
from an FIV infected cat?  Or are felines and ferrets close enough
biologically that a scratch/bite from an FIV infected cat may infect the
ferret?  I had a FIV infected cat before I had the ferrets (died at 12 yrs
old and is much missed!) If say I were to rescue a cat with FIV should I be
concerned?

Mary, Boris (aka Big Foot) and Giesela
In Memory of Attila, RIP