From:
Northeast Exotic Pet Supply <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 1996 23:43:12 -0400
[Moderator's note: I received a couple of complaints about this directly
so I wrote to NEEPS and received this reply, which I'm posting here with
their permission.

I want to make clear that I don't make the FML's subscriber list available
to *anyone*.  I don't even give out anyone's email address if another
subscriber asks (though I will forward a piece of mail if asked.)

Obviously though, once you post, your address is known and there's nothing
I can do about that, though you can post anonymously if need be.  BIG]

Bill,

It has been brought to my attention that complaints were raised about using
some e-mail addresses off the FML to send out notices about our new web
site.  Me and my partners goal was not to offend anyone by sending
unsolicited e-mail to them.  Perhaps, if we both looked ahead and realized
that a few lines promoting our site would offend some people we would have
never done it.

Let me give a little background.  We are a very small company.  Me and my
partner run it simply to provide ferret products for those people who
cannot readily obtain them like ourselves.  The pet stores where we live,
carry little to nothing for ferrets.  Hunting down items for our three
became a chore.  We realized that we cannot be the only people out there
having a problem finding such items.  We then took it upon ourselves to
start this venture, not to make money, but to get ferret stuff to people
who can't get it.

We don't do expensive advertising.  In fact, the only advertising we do is
on Internet search engines and our e-mailings.  We maintain an Internet site
and work hard to promote it.  I am truly sorry for the fact that in our
promotion we offended a few.  Starting today, we will no longer use any
e-mail addresses that appear on the FML.  We will, as you mentioned, be more
than happy to be a part of your advertising issue when it comes out.

Again, please accept our apologies, and also accept our congratulations for
a fine job that you are doing to ferret owners with the FML.

If you find it fitting to print our apology, feel free to do so.

Sincerely,

Scott Sanfilippo
Joseph Palko
Northeast Exotic Pet Supply