Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1993 23:35:25 -0500
     Jim Lapeyre, I just read about your scare when trimming your
ferrets nail and it brought an idea to mind about something I read
awhile back. I can't remember where I read it but the article
suggested using soap when a nail has been cut too close. Yes, soap.
Actually it said to take a bar of soap and run the hurt nail
across it to clog the cut vein and stop the flow of blood and
I guess this could act as an antiseptic also. I have never tried
this but I keep it in mind when I do trim my ferrets nails. Anyone
else have any pros and cons on this method?
     Also about the Linatone on the belly trick, it has worked
wonderfully for me on both my ferrets. This is the first time I have
not  had to pay $6.00 to the vet or plead with my roommate to don
his leather gloves and long sleeve shirt( he is afraid of the ferrets)
and help me hold the ferrets so I can cut their nails. So whoever
thought of this, many a ferret thank you from me, Weezul and Teebone
and especially my roommate.
     And thanks again Jim for the information. I will have some styptic
powder on hand the next time the nails start flying.

                                     Judy*Teebone*Weezul