From:
Lisa Oestereich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 2009 13:34:27 -0400
From yesterday's FML:
>What was the name of the ferret group that was contacted and couldn't
>help the ferrets other than giving Stephanie other contacts? That
>would be critical information to try to avoid this type of situation
>in the future. When someone asks for help we as a community need to
>try and do more than just give referrals. We can get as much
>information as possible and contact the other organizations ourselves
>to alert them to the situation. I've spent hours contacting other
>state ferret groups when there is a situation someone calls me about.
>It is the very least one can do if they are not able to provide the
>needed help.

As stated in yesterday's FML, there is no reason to post the name of
this group so that they can be publicly humiliated. That accomplishes
nothing. We believe the group understands the situation now - they
have actually seen the ferrets and their condition. As far as we're
concerned, this matter has been handled and is over. What purpose would
it serve for the ferret community to publically voice their displeasure
over their actions? They now know that there are organizations they
can contact for help if the situation were to arise again. A public
thrashing would only encourage them to angrily distance themselves from
the very community that needs EVERYONE'S cooperation in the event of a
disaster or emergency. We consider this facet of the rescue a closed
matter. You should too.

As the economy continues to decline, we are going to see more shelters
closing up and it is critical that we all do what we can - whether it's
the hands on part of the rescue, adopting, volunteering, fundraising or
donating money for vet care - it's all important.