From:
Vicky James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 19:32:15 -0500
We have 3 of the Freedonia ferrets and found out 1 1/2 weeks ago that
Athena, the only female we took in, has Insulnoma.  She had a very bad
seizure and was dying and we rushed her into our vets at 10:30pm on a Sunday
night (do they get sick any other time?).  Our vet gave her a shot of
glucose in her liver and she snapped out of the seizure pretty quickly.  She
has surgery scheduled for Monday.  Sweet Ulysses has a sore on his side that
our vet will be checking out soon as well, it isn't healing but keeps
scabbing over.  Worried about a skin cancer.  Our sweet Spartan is the only
one so far who is healthy.  Is anyone else finding problems because of the
below standard care they received before we got them?  We will give Athena
as much love and affection as she can possibly stand until her time comes.
She loves to be held and cuddled and I love holding and cuddling her.
Ulysses prefers to play and dook so we play and dook with him and Spartan
likes to be held and cuddled and to play and dook.

I keep saying "I'm not a shelter, I'm not a shelter, I'm not a shelter," but
it doesn't seem to be working.  Actually, I'm right, because a shelter gives
them up for adoption but I can't seem to part with them when I take them in,
so it's more of a rescue I guess.  We took in another rescue (surprise,
surprise), and this is while we are getting ready to make a move to MN,
(this makes 18 ferrets now) this last Saturday from the Pound.  She is a
sweetie that someone found running around outside and she sat at the pound
for 3 days before we took her, if anyone in the Cedar Rapids, IA area is
missing their ferret, please e-mail us.  She definitely has adrenal disease
so we will need to be scheduling surgery for her as well.  Our vet is very
sweet and cut us some slack on the shots (she cuts me slack on everything,
bless her heart!) so we are only paying $156 for 18 distemper and 18 rabies
shots for my fur babies.  Mandy is our new addition and we are excited for
the 2 weeks we quarantine them to be up so she can meet her new brothers and
sisters.  We got her distemper shot first thing after picking her up of
course because we have no history on her shots.  She's sweet and gives lots
of kisses, we figure she may be around 2 years.  As far as I know ECE has
not been a problem here in my little part of Iowa.

Any vets that can send me any first hand info for my vet on Insulnoma, it
would be greatly appreciated.  She voraciously reads everything I bring her
and this was at her request.  She said it was the information that I had
printed from the FML and brought her that saved little Athena.

Vicky
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/ferret1/
Families are Forever