From:
"SOFA - Norma-ann Mooney, President" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 1996 17:43:27 +0000
Hi everyone. i need (medical) advice again, please.

i just got back from a weekend trip to Kingston (Ontario) and, of course,
we took all 5 ferrets with us.  The kids just had an absolute BLAST running
around that motel room...

But, here's the problem:

Once we got there we noticed that Molly had blood in her urine and, at
first, quite a bit was noticeable in the area of her vulva.  She was still
eating, and drinking, and she looked quite healthy (and incredibly
happy...to be in the motel room--dook!  dook!  dook!), so i decided to wait
until i got back home (unless she got worse) so that i could take her to her
Vet., instead of going to an emergency clinic.  She was not straining to
pee, and she didn't show any signs of discomfort.

That was Saturday evening.  Today, Sunday, she seems completely fine.  That
is, there does not appear to be any blood in her urine at this point.  She
is still eating/drinking/pooping/peeing/playing.

Molly has been feed Iams Kitten food since she was about 8 weeks old which
has "no more than 7% Ash".  Is that considered low?  Could she have bladder
stones?

Could she have a UTI?

Could this have to do with her (probable) adrenal problem?  She has not had
surgery for that, yet, as i am completely TERRIFIED to have it done.  We
lost our sweet Gerty last summer after surgery for a blockage (her lungs
filled up with fluids), and i can't stand the thought of that, or something
similar, happening to Molly when she is HERE now...and happy...and playful.
She just doesn't have any fur on her bum and it is pretty sparse up the
center of her back.  But, i thought that maybe an adrenal tumour could be
affecting her kidney (pressing on it?  Spreading??).

i would really appreciate hearing from the doctors, and anyone with
experience in this.  What tests should be done?  What do you think about all
this?  What should i be doing?

Of course, Molly's going to the Vet's first thing tomorrow, but i really
need your imput, as well.

Thanks so much...

--Norma-ann
   worried mom of Molly, Leo, and Maggie