Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 2008 08:13:16 -0700
Dear VK Walsh

Alexandra did not * have * to share the tragic deaths of her ferrets
with us, the FML family. She chose to do so. She shared two very
painful experiences, knowing it might help someone.

There are two types of ferret owners, those that have had a accident,
and those that will have a accident.

I too have a ferret *who's excitement for life may cause his death*.
In fact, it recently almost did.

He was running to me to be picked up for cuddles. He ran from behind,
and stopped in front of me, just as I stepped down, hard.

My ferret lay very still, gasped, then began vomiting. I rushed him
to the vet, just as Alexandra rushed her Ping is He to the vet.

My ferret was fortunate, he had no internal injuries. He could have,
* should * have. I know how hard I stepped on his little body.

Should I NOT have ferrets?

They are still running to me to be picked up for cuddles.
I could step wrong again.
I could shut one in a door.
I could shut one in a clothes dryer.
I could allow a outside escape.

I have two dogs, one is ferret friendly, one is not. I do my best to
keep my ferrets safe form them both.

Will my dogs NEVER kill one of my ferrets? I hope not. No guarantee,
but I will not deny my ferrets, my dogs, nor myself the pleasures and
joys we each have because something horrible *could* happen.

Like Alexandra and Dann, I will just do the best I can to keep my
ferrets safe, while allowing them the joys of ferrety lives, and
continuing to love a dear older dog.

I appreciate very much those folks that share their darkest moments
when a accident happens. Not only do I learn from the experience, I
also get to know the person on the other side of my monitor. The person
that is hurting badly, the person that wishes more than anything they
could take back *that day*. I get to know someone that has only love
to give, and has their heart ripped in pieces. Someone that has yet
more love to give, is able to recover, and share that love again.

For these friends, I am so very thankful.

Ardith