From:
Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 13:37:43 +0100
Todd Cromwell III wrote:-
>I would ask the British folks on the list about raw diets.  I don't know
>where one gets safe, day old, dead baby chicks here in the USA, though.
>Dantes sure likes his turkey/liver/tongue/egg/kibble stew.  It's not raw
>though.

We all get our day old chicks from a hatchery, perhaps if you know any
falconers they could help you find a source of whole carcase food for
ferrets.  Some falconers even buy quail chicks to feed to their birds.
One thing that we are very careful of is to make sure that the raw meat or
whole carcase is fresh.  If it smells off I don't give it to my ferrets.

Yesterday (Sunday) I, Thorr and Ingga went ferreting at the Racal/Decca
Transmitting Station on the Wirral.  We only came back from the trip with
one rabbit - Scrap, my little albino jill, came out of the warren riding on
the rabbit's back.  Thorr had to disentangle both her and the rabbit from
the purse net before he could dispatch the rabbit.  Scrap was really fired
up from the hunt, her tail was bottle brush and she'd sprayed - the first
time I'd ever known her to empty her scent glands.  I should have pictures
of Scrap with her first rabbit on my web pages later on this week.

Sheila
Bolton Ferret Welfare & National Ferret Welfare Society Newsletter Editor
http://www.btinternet.com/~sheila/ferrets.htm (Last Update 27 Sept, 1998)
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge: Jill, Deanna Troi, Cameron, Carnath & Button