From:
"Sue M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 13:24:21 +0000
>actually I've heard that if you're allergic to cat's there's a good chance
>that you're *not* allergic to ferrets.

I, however happen to be allergic to both.  To ferrets severely "avoidance
reccomended...too bad" yeah, too bad since I'm not going to get rid of the
fuzzies until I can't breathe around them.

Things your doctor/allergist may not know or tell you if they do.

* there *is* a test for ferret allergies.

(and please remember that bathing your ferret more often isn't the answer
to controlling allergies...their bedding their cage, yes, them no)

there is not at this time a treatment that's like the injectable allergy
treatments.  *BUT* the company that my allergist uses said they would
custom make me one for a sandwich bag full of ferret hair and $100.  It's
not an exact science, no garuntees on it's effectiveness, but it *should*
work.  I told my allergist I've heard of enough people that were allergic
to ferrets that she should talk to the company about offering it.

I do my allergy treatments (including my food allergies) via drops under
the tongue.

If anyone is interested in knowing more (or in donating fur!) or adding
your number to those who would be interested in a possible treatment for
your ferret allergies, e-mail me.

Sue