From:
Aengus Luker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 20:02:04 PDT
Hey all, this is Aengus.

I wanted to say thank you!  Thank you for all the response, support, and
condolences about the premature demise of MonkeyGirl.  She was a very
special ferret, and you all made it easier for me to cope with her death,
with all the emails and online cards I received.  I truly appreciate all
the amazing support shown.

As for an update, after numerous tests, I was advised by the vet that
MonkeyGirl died peacefully from internal bleeding.  Apparently, the tests
pointed towards a genetic disease named St. Hildegard's (I think, but not
sure) disease.  The way it was explained to me that MonkeyGirl did not have
the clotting agents in her bloodstream that other ferrets possess, so it
allowed her to bleed internally without stopping.  It killed her in her
sleep, painlessly, and almost instantly.  There is nothing I could have
done to diagnose or help her.  It still does not make it any easier,
though.

At least I know that it is not a contagious disease, but a genetic one.

All the other ferrets are doing well.  SkuzzleButt is kind of lonely, and
the two new rescues (Flower and Sammy) are getting chubby and will be out
of quarantine next week.  Life is moving on, but I will always miss
MonkeyGirl

Thanks once again for all the support!

Aengus