From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:01:56 -0400
>I have absolutely no experience with Marshall Farms, I just hope they
>would not say that once the ferret was delivered to the store, their
>obligation was over...

I have personally seen MF go after a store that had poor conditions and
disease; Steve and i were the ones who reported the store, complete with
a vet's letter to support what we said.  The NJ Dept. of F G & W also
went after it since that is the department that licences pet stores in
New Jersey.  Between the two of them things changed a lot with F G &W
forcing treatment, and MF forcing them to go decent living conditions
for the ferrets.

Have heard of this happening elsewhere since then.  Of course, some
places will just switch to suppliers who don't care about conditions, but
I think that most of the large ones are smart enough to know that the
health problems such places create reflect on them often when people get
told by the store that it's all the source's fault, so they know that
decent living conditions have not "only" humane aspects but economic and
PR ones as well.

>My 2 1/2 year old ferret, Caddy has been having these very severe sneezing
>fits.  If Caddy sneezes continuously he hits his head on the ground from
>twisting it, also the back legs become weak and unstable.  Sometimes when
>he breathes he sounds quite congested.  Someone told me this could be a
>sign of diabetes, is this really what it could be or can I use some sort
>of home remedy if this is a cold.  Also what do I use to worm him and
>how often do I need to worm him?

Is there heartworm in your area?

Have you had him to the vet to have chest x-rays for pneumonia and
cardiomyopathy, and a heart and lung check-up as well as blood tests?

This ferret needs VET CARE -- now.

To learn info about these diseases: