From:
KatKuckens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 18:42:47 EST
Dear Corrie, I am so sorry about Lucy.  You asked if anyone had something
similar happen.  My ferret Chip had become completely bald, and Dr. Wil
Barrios (he's the greatest, right Joanne?) performed RIGHT adrenal surgery
on him.  Because he was so bald, I could really see his incision and
surrounding area.  Chip seemed fine, really perky the same evening of his
surgery.  The next day it looked like he had a huge horrible purple and red
bruise.  It spread and spread, across his abdomen and down one leg.  I was
horrified -- thought he was bleeding to death, even though he was perky and
eating and drinking.  Dr. Barrios checked him out ( no charge) and assured
me that he was fine.  And he was!  Awful as that bruising looked, it cleared
up in a few days and Chip went on to regrow all his hair, too.  So Lucy's
tragic death was not necessarily related to the bruising you saw.  I wonder
if we just see it more plainly when the ferrets are hairless.  My other
weasel also needed adrenal surgery, but her tummy still had some undercoat
on it so I wouldn't have seen the bruising if it was there.

Kat