From:
Meryl Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2011 13:06:29 -0800
Went yesterday to send a package to Australia (the box I used came out
with contents to about 2 pounds in wt). Went down and asked at Postal
Annex and Fed ex for a quote. They both said $108. Both said try the
post office. I went home and repacked the contents in a slightly
smaller box 8x 10 x 12which weighed 1pound 13oz full, and returning to
the PO got charged $18.50. I checked using the postal calculator and
found that using the larger (3inches by 15inches by 12 inches)box and
original wt of 2 pounds 4oz which cost $108 at FedEx would still only
have cost $42. So the USPS is vastly cheaper for international
packages. No wonder there was a long line.

BTW the little old lady in front of me (we got talking about ferrets
since I said I was sending ferret gifts) said there were going to be
no paper checks next year "they are taking them away" she said. I
expressed surprise. When I asked for details she said she thought that
people would have to use cards debit or credit. Someone had told her
to get a debit card to be ready for the disappearance of the checks. I
googled for information and was shocked to find its true - in Europe -
but not yet in the US. For those interested in money transactions this
site gives a pretty good explanation
http://www.bankrate.com/financing/banking/banks-to-phase-out-paper-checks/

My ferrets like going through my purse and looking for checks, cards,
letters food and money, luckily they have trouble signing checks and
can't hold change or credit cards in their teeth.

Meryl