From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 17:08:26 -0500
Dear XXXXX- for many years, I have cautioned against the use of injectable
anesthetics of any type in ferrets.  The most common problem associated
with injectable anesthetic is what you have stated - prolonged recovery.

The longer that a ferret is anesthetized, the more susceptible it is to
hypothermia, the most common cause of post-surgical mortality.

Yesterday on the list we talked about why to avoid injectable drugs
whenever possible - once injected, they can't be retrieved.  The same
principle applies with injectable anesthetics - once you inject them, for
the most part you have to ride them out.  With inhalant anesthesia only,
if there is a problem and the animal gets too deep - you simply turn off
the gas, and the animal gets progressive lighter, and if needed, wakes
back up.

You can find this tip and others on my web site http://www.afip.org
in a section called "50 Things your Vet hasn't told you."

With kindest regards,
Bruce H. Williams, DVM, DACVP

Join the Ferret Health List at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ferret-Health-list