From:
Jenni Glenn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 16:51:26 -0400
I have a call into my vet (she's out of the office today), but I also
wanted to get some opinions from the list as well.  I guess I am a little
paranoid now about losing another baby since Zeppy's death last Thursday.
Ozzy had his left adrenal gland removed about a month ago.  Apparently it
was mild hyperplasia and it was not cancerous.  His hair has started to
grow back and he seems to be putting weight back on slowly but surely.
However, when his blood test came back, it was low.  I think it was around
60 or 70.  When he was operated on for adrenal, our vet checked out his
pancreas, but didn't see anything.  Is there any other reason that his
blood sugar could have been so low other than insulinoma?  He isn't
exhibiting any other signs.  How will I be able to tell if his right
adrenal needs to be removed?  Our vet said that she couldn't see the right
adrenal when she operated on the left, which means it is not enlarged.  I
just want to make sure that I'm doing everything right because I now know
that ferrets can look completely healthy and normal when they really
aren't.  In addition to Ozzy's problems, our new addition to the family,
Romeo, seems to be having trouble with his back legs.  We've only had him
for a few months and he's about 5 years old.  He's a big boy--over four
pounds.  We had him neutered when we got him, so he had a blood test, etc.
and everything came back okay.  However, he's been dragging his back legs
at times.  Not all the time, though.  And if one of his brothers eggs him
on, he'll chase after them...and he moves pretty fast!  And he doesn't
drag his legs at all then.  I don't know if it's arthritis (do ferrets get
arthritis?) or something more serious.  Apparently his kidneys, liver,
heart, etc.  are all fine and he seems to be alert and happy.  He doesn't
seem like he's in pain either.  I don't know what to make of this.  Please
let me know if you have ever experienced anything like this and what the
diagnosis was.

Thanks...I appreciate it.

Jenni and Cliff
Oso, Ozzy and Romeo (missing Zeppy, who has crossed over the Rainbow Bridge)